Originally a coaching Inn, built in 1730. Rebuilt in the 1860's and is on OS 1875 map as "PH Royal Oak". Was the most northerly pub to which Wem beers were delivered, until brewery was closed by Greenall Whitley in 1988. The pub became part of a pubco when Greenall Whitley sold all their pubs. For many years, until spring 1980, the bar [now long since opened through a to the lounge as part of the modernisation] had a python skin on the wall above the fire. Subsequent refurbishment in 1988 meant the loss of the public bar, which was accessed from the large car park.